Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Rappard Little Peggy

I finally got a Little Peggy wheel. She's a 1980 wheel. I've been wanting one for a long time. She will be my ideal wheel for going to spinning meetings due to her size. I have an Ashford Traveller (which I also love) but Little Peggy is much more compact. I also love the idea that she can be set up in Scotch tension or double drive. I brought her home yesterday and she was in a state of neglect, I feel she has been a well used wheel but has not been used for years. Apart from the dirt and grime she was in pretty good condition:


I spent a good few hours cleaning every inch of her with furniture oil, the wool on the bobbins was a pain to get off as it had set on there like cement and has left black marks on the core of the bobbins that won't come out, but that's part of her life history. I cleaned all the old black dirt/grease off. Took the rust off the metal parts using steel wool and furniture oil, then I put her back together and thoroughly oiled her.






She now has new flyer hooks, drive band and brake band. The old hooks had just about worn through:


Here's Peggy after her makeover:

You can see the bobbin support upright is missing so I put an elastic band on for now to hold the bobbins on. I had a wee spin on her last night, smooth and quiet, I'm smitten!

She has a few bumps and knocks but in my eyes she's a real beauty.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for such a detailed article about Little Peggy. I have just acquired one without original bobbins, (didnt know this at purchase), so a bit unusable at present. There are no manufacturers markings anywhere on my wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I also have a Wee Peggy with no marks underneath. I think I read somewhere that not all of them had marks.

    ReplyDelete