Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Quince Season & Overdyed Wool

It's quince season again, I'm not going to repeat last years post in which I described how I make quince jelly & membrillo paste, but I will tell you that I also tried something a little different this year, bottled quince poached in a honey and rose water syrup.


The 3 jars at the rear left of the photo are the bottled quince, the rest are the quince jelly. The membrillo is bubbling and spitting away as I'm typing, no doubt there will be a major clean up session later ha ha.













I'm considering using this tin to set the membrillo, however, do I brush the insides of the cups with glycerine to try to prevent it sticking, or do I line the cups with baking paper? The safest bet is probably the paper. The cups on this tin are deep and cylindrical, not like a muffin or cupcake tin, I think the finished membrillo will look like good if my plan works:






















I overdyed some yarn last week. I bought it over 10 years ago and came across it while having a clear out/stash tidy. There was 600g, enough for a cardigan and it was a shame to throw it out as it's really good quality stuff. Debbie Bliss merino DK, I just really disliked the colour which was a very very pale baby blue. So I skeined it up, soaked it and overdyed it to a nice semi solid shade of deep hunter green:
I could have either gone green or purple with it owing to it's original colour, but I had a pattern already in mind and wanted to go with the green. I'm really pleased with how the dye job turned out. The cardigan is knit from the top down in one piece.

I still haven't finished the cowl, but only have about another 10 cm to knit so almost there with it.










Here's my Mother's Day Terrarium ~ I'm over the moon with this. I normally get flowers but it's so nice to receive something that will last much longer than a bouquet.

No comments:

Post a Comment