Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Quilt Planning & Banana Walnut loaf

Sometimes I get the urge to sew ~ to make something that's both useful and beautiful. I recently came across this Tiny Tile Quilt and the pattern really appeals to me on many levels. Firstly I love the quaint simplicity of it's design and secondly I know I am capable of making this.
After a rummage through my fabric stash I came up with these fat quarters:

I will possibly ditch the white for the background though and look for some ivory/neutral fabric. I feel the white is a wee bit too stark against the other bold colours. I have a lot of block cutting and chain piecing to do!







Another cake was baked yesterday as we had visitors. Here's a recipe for a very simple loaf, nice to eat as is or you can drizzle icing over the top.

Banana & Walnut Loaf

200g Unsalted butter, melted
170g caster sugar
4 medium eggs
250g plain flour
200g very ripe banana, well mashed
3 teaspoons of baking powder
125g walnuts, chopped

Line a large loaf tin with nonstick baking paper. Melt the butter, pour it into a mixing bowl with the sugar, then beat in 100g of the flour until smooth. Add the eggs one by one, beating each one in well before adding the next, then mix in the mashed banana. Sift together the remaining flour and baking powder into the bowl and stir until smooth. Lastly add the chopped nuts and gently stir through.
Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake at 160C (140C fan)/320F for about an hour. The cake is done when a skewer poked into the centre comes out clean, it will feel nice and springy when you press it in the centre. Enjoy it bare or you can butter the slices. it will keep for about 5 days in an airtight tin (if it lasts that long!)

No comments:

Post a Comment